Thank You Notes

I read a suggestion the other day that completely caught me by surprise. It was on a business blog that I lost the link for, which is probably why I was surprised. It said to write a thank you note every day, to someone who doesn’t expect it.
Sure, that’ll take you far in business because it shows you are appreciative and a people-person, but it will take you even farther in life in general.
An example:
There’s a guy in my ward that my family has carefully deduced does something we all find incredible. After church, or even right there in sacrament meeting, he takes the time to write a short note of encouragement/thanks for each speaker. It’s always on a card with some kind of silly comic on the front, kind of like the ones in the back of the New Era, but a little more like a sketch.
This guy makes every speaker feel so special and edified because he takes two minutes out of his day to write a note. Mind you, this is not an old man; he has 4 kids under the age of 10, including two 6 year-old twin boys! His example is monumental to me, and I hope there are people out there who do the same for him when he speaks.
Second story/anecdote:
I don’t remember my mom often crying in frustration, at least not in recent memory. But the few times I know of it’s been because being a mom can be one of the most thankless jobs, usually with a thanks here or there, but by no means plentiful.
She had a tough day and mentioned that I didn’t thank her for the laundry or the ride home from school (3+ years ago I suppose) and just looked so downhearted about what she was called to do. Since then I’ve made it a personal point to try to say thank you for something she does for me at least once daily, if not more.
Most people keep mementos of thank-yous in a box or any number of other safe places. I have a couple of shoeboxes I keep, full of things that I can read if I’m feeling down. Compliment sheets from seminary, birthday cards from grandma, notes from a good friend; the best cards from my Eagle court of honor and graduation, letters from my parents from Scout Camp or Aaronic priesthood encampment.
Thank-yous make people feel important, special, loved. Whether it’s a short text, a letter, a scrap of paper note, or a phone call, try to give thanks every day, it makes a bigger difference than you think!

0 comments:

Post a Comment